One of the goals of Chartbeat is to make really complex information really easy to understand – really fast. We keep this in mind when we build anything from a new feature on a dashboard to our heads up display and now our new API Explorer.Instead of creating static API documentation separate from the API explorer, which is confusing to navigate and takes way too long to jump back and forth, we bundled these two things together. So you have a seamless work flow when working with our API.Now, when you look at the documentation for an endpoint, you don’t just see a unpersonalized template response, you can actually play around with your own data. It’s a preview of your data with our API. Awesome, right?Play around with a couple of these to see what I mean:
- The 50 most recent visitors to your site.
- The top pages on your site right now.
- A summary of the users who are reading, writing and idle on your site right now.
- The number of mentions your URL has gotten on twitter every 5 minutes from this morning until the end of the day.
- The maximum engaged seconds in the past month.
These API explorer updates aren’t just an opportunity to explore the capabilities of our API, it also helps to directly integrate our API into your service. On top of providing the results of your API query, you’ll now see what URL would return those same results. From there, you’ll use the URL we provide to mimic the exact results you see in the response.let us know if you have suggestions on how we can improve our APIs.