You know you want it. The elusive white unicorn that is historical real-time Chartbeat data. We constantly challenge our products to give you better historical context in creative ways (like replay and typical performance), but we totally get that you may just want to log snapshots of your dashboard.
Well, you're not alone. Many of our client-partners have built their own suites of cron jobs calling the Chartbeat API's and storing in a database at some frequency to use historical information to give more context to their real-time decisions.
But, for the average pretengineer or those of us who don't even have enough hours in the day to make time to eat breakfast, going the extra step to get more out of your Chartbeat data isn't something you can make time for. Adding databases and time-based job schedulers take a backseat to the rest of your life.
With a Google Apps Script & Google Spreadsheet concoction, you can easily leverage the Chartbeat API to store only the data you care about, longer than 30 days.
You can then write directly into a Google Spreadsheet of your choice by converting the response into rows then inserting those rows on your favorite spreadsheet:
To take it a step further, you can schedule a frequency to run it the script behind the scenes. Maybe you want to log your daily max by traffic source every night, or store your average engaged time every-day at lunch. Adding triggers to automate your script is as easy as a couple drop-downs:
As always, if you have a question or maybe just want some code we've already built to copy into your Google Drive right away we're here to help. Drop us a line, shoot us an email, or visit support.chartbeat.com.
- The 50 most recent visitors to your site.
- The top pages on your site right now.
- A summary of the users who are reading, writing and idle on your site right now.
- The number of mentions your URL has gotten on twitter every 5 minutes from this morning until the end of the day.
- The maximum engaged seconds in the past month.
- Around the World: A real-time map of who’s visiting your site and where they are in the world.
- Big Board: For real time to be a success, you need to live in it, in a full environment of data. The Chartbeat Big Board is perfect for having an ambient view of activity on your site.
- Universe: Your site is a galaxy of pages. Watch them pop in and out of orbit.
- Traffic Control: You know there are people on your site, and you know what pages they’re on. Using Traffic Control, you can watch them move from page to page and understand where your most popular and most important paths are.
- Big Board Mosaic (just for Newsbeat clients): Easily understand your traffic at a glance. Big colorful blocks that tell you how much traffic a page has, and where on the web they came from.
- Before It’s News and politics.ie are using the chartbeat API to show how many active visits are on their site
- Midi Libre is displaying both active visits and traffic to top stores at the top of their home page
- Hark.com has a real-time feed of where their users are arriving from and what they’re reading
Active VisitsThe Active Visits Dial shows the total number of visitors across your entire site with the classic chartbeat gauge. You can customize color and size, refresh rate, and the widget label. Please note that you will need to proxy the api request to use this, so it's a little more developer intensive than the rest of the widgets.
Active Visits by the Numbers shows the number of people that are currently on a specific page or across your entire site. It can show either the total number of people, the new vs. returning users, or the reading/writing/idle activity on a specific page or the entire site.
Mapping Your VisitorsThe Incoming Visitors Map is a simple mashup of Google Maps and the chartbeat ‘recent’ API call that plots the physical location of visitors to your site, along with what page they’re reading. The mashup is open source. View a live demo.
Top StoriesThe Big Board is a dynamic overview of which articles are trending at the moment on your site. As traffic moves around your site, the pages will automatically rearrange themselves in order of popularity and arrows will indicate the direction of the traffic to that page. The Big Board is an open source project. View a live demo. The Top Pages widget is a list of the current most visited pages across your site. You can select the number of stores to be shown in the list.
If you’re interested in displaying recent visits and referrers data, check out our Site Widgets page for easy-to-embed widgets. Or, if you want to build something from scratch, sign up for an API key and have all your data at your fingertips.
As always, we're here to help. If you run into any problems installing the widgets or have an idea for other tools you'd like to see, let us know. Or, if you do something amazing with your chartbeat data, drop us a line. We'd love to see it!